I have decided to finally do some much-needed work on AT_Telnet... it began last night. For those who don't know, AT_Telnet was originally developed by Tom Hunt in and around 2000 and I took it over about this time. It is a PC-based terminal client for accessing ATASCII BBSes on the internet from your PC. It is my primary terminal program.
I will be renaming the program AT_Connect - The ATASCII Terminal Client and upgrading the version to v3.oo. This change is about 85% complete as of right now. Telnet was never a part of this program... it was simply the name that was used back in 2000 when this began.
Swatted five minor bugs that have been around for 10 years or thereabouts.
Plan to address what I call the 1 major bug in the screen processing section of the code. Currently the Ctrl-Del key is not processed correctly. I have prevented it from shutting down the program by simply ignoring the key (or incoming char as the case may be) however, I do want to get this fixed. I may need some help.
Plan to update the 'Help' system. Also started on this last night.
Plan to get a better handle on the implicit changes to the system caused by the way the UAC system in newer versions of Windows interacts with the older VB6 programs..
At least one new major feature to be added... more on this later.
No plans to upgrade from vb6 to a newer version of VB. This cannot be done due to THE major component of AT_Connect no longer existing in VB.
What else??? I am open to suggestions.
Now that v3.10 is released, I won't be doing any more development on it for a while, unless someone finds a bug that needs swatting. I think I will start playing with HDTOOLS again.
Quoting messages is now working in AT_Connect III. This will be released in v3.10 soon!
A Dedicated Page accessible in the header of the web site is now available for AT_Connect II. More content to be added but you get a download button for now..
Coming Back to Life...
I actually got the Ctrl-Del and Ctrl-Ins working tonight on both the terminal and the ATEditor. Ctrl-Ins was already working in the terminal. How did I fix Ctrl_del? Pulled an old archive of AT_Telnet I and copied one 'PaintPicture' instruction to ATC_3. Somehow that instruction got messed up at some point in time and was causing AT_Telnet to crash which led to trapping and ignoring the error. The old code solved the problem... don't ask me how it got screwed up. My troubleshooting skills are not what they once were as evidenced by my Computer breakdown earlier this week... whew!
The other day, I tried to install this on crossover, playonmac, and a hacked version of wine. (Version 7.20). Could not get it to work. I was using a win10 version of emulation. Going to try a windows 7 wrapper next time I work on it. I did import it to my fully working windows 10 parallels vm. I got to the bobterm screen and when I click on the “on” button. It crashes. Says my install is missing something.
I will keep plugging along. I just wish I could have gotten it to work in a nice wine wrapper.
When I originally announced AT_Connect at the top of this message thread, I indicated that one new major feature would be added to the system. As of right now, there are 4 new major features as outlined here in this excerpt from the help file:
I think now with all of this, I will start to clean up the program and get ready to release it for human consumption. If anyone has anything to report (good or bad), please do so now so I can address it.
So now there is another new feature in AT_Connect. ATC can detect a URL in the incoming text, and place it in a link for you to click on from within ATC... no cutting or pasting necessary.
It will retain the last 5 links it encounters. I am thinking about saving them... or maybe having more than 5. Anything is possible...
We are rolling now...
Once you're done and have a clean program, let's port it to iOS!
I have also built my test VM for installing ATC in the Windows 10 environment. I still have a few little bugs to swat but I have installed it roughly 10 times since this morning.