Okay, started seeing some uploading problems this morning. I got an error message from SFHQ's when scanning the message bases so I grabbed a screenshot. I tried to send an e-mail to the good Commodore with the file attached but it gave another error. So...I logged into DarkForce and tried the same thing. Same result. Trying to upload the screenshot gave the same kind of error there. This was with my Win10 box and SyncTerm both times. Next, I zipped the file(s) up, thinking maybe that might make a difference (was grasping at straws here). No difference. Just for the fun of it, I switched to my Kubuntu Linux laptop and tried to upload the file to DarkForce. This time it worked. But...I noticed that from my laptops' screen, SyncTerm was reporting an initial upload speed of 56k! That dropped to around 26-28k before the upload was done but still... The point is, I had my monitor turned on for DarkForce, in an attempt to see what was going on. On DarkForce's screen, the upload was still going on perfectly, with no errors, while SyncTerm was reporting it uploaded and waiting for an acknowledgement from the BBS. It did finally successfully upload.
(This wasn't wireless, BTW - in case someone might think it's something to do with my previous D/L problem with wireless on my network)
I was just wondering if anyone using SyncTerm could try to upload to SFHQ's and DarkForce, just to see what happens. The file I was using was around 172k. Upload to File Sig 32 if you don't care. Files are auto-deleted from there when you logoff anyway.
PS I'll post both pictures here:
Okay, so I'm currently running the Lantronix UDS-10 on DarkForce as a trial for the moment. It is set to "RAW" mode and seems to be doing well.
I've posted this in a couple of places but basically Zmodem works for uploading with TAZ on my UDS-10 equipped Mega STe and with STalker on my WiModem 232 equipped STacy.
SyncTerm is still being difficult. It still thinks any file uploaded using Zmodem is instantly sent and then waits for an acknowledgement which doesn't come like it expects because on the BBS side, the file is still being uploaded.
SyncTerm with my Kubuntu Linux laptop successfully uploaded (with one brief
message that I didn't catch).
SyncTerm under Win10 gave multiple error messages. I'll attach a couple of screenshots so everyone can see. It did finally upload but it wasn't pretty. :)
Okay, just to make this even more interesting (and maddening), where is what I found out this evening:
SyncTerm under Win10 or Kubuntu Linux, errors out when trying to upload to DarkForce (occassional success but mostly failures)
I even setup the backup copy of DarkForce on my Mega STe, but using the UDS-10 instead of the WiModem 232 and SyncTerm *still* fails uploading.
STalker, under the UDS-10 and my Mega STe will upload to DarkForce fine.
STalker, under the WiModem 232 and my STacy will upload to DarkForce fine.
STalker, under the WiModem 232 and my STacy will also upload to the backup copy of DarkForce using the UDS-10 fine.
Everything except the WiModem 232 and my STacy, will download just fine.
I've done some more experimenting with uploading. This is from my Win10 box and SyncTerm.
It worked. Sort of. It's still doing that thing where Syncterm seems to be finished uploading and waiting for an acknowledgement and DarkForce
is still showing a CPS upload screen. If it's finished fast enough, it goes to
the hit return screen in both places. If it's not fast enough for SyncTerm it
gives the error messages like the screenshot above.
Also, SyncTerm starts out showing insane upload speeds. I'm going to post a couple of pictures so everyone can see. Also look at the time for the uploads.
Not sure what's going on yet.... :(